Education: BTech in Computer Science
College: Indian Institute of Technology, Kanpur
- 1997 to 1999: Started to work as a System Analyst with Deloitte consulting group
- 1999 to 2000: Worked as a Software Engineer at Nextag
- 2000 to 2001: Worked as a Sr. Software Engineer at Ewanted.com
- 2001 to 2004: Worked as a Sr. Product Manager at Centrata
- 2005 to 2006: Worked as a Director of Product Management at Cisco
2. Origin Story
Bansal had garnered around a decade of experience from his stints at different companies during the years 1997 to 2006. Working in Silicon Valley during the dotcom boom in 1999, he had witnessed the hyper growth of startup companies. In hindsight, his short tenure at various companies, where he worked across varied domains like consulting, development, and product management, suggested that he had the knack for strategy and product building - the necessary skills of an entrepreneur.
At the time, a common theme across e-commerce players in India was to sell a product directly from either a vendor or a manufacturer to the end user. Thus users could go online and buy what they see, but could not customize according to their own likes. Bansal, along with his batch mates, Ashutosh Lawania and Vineet Saxena, wanted to capitalize on the personalisation space, and came up with an idea to build a platform where a user could personalise and buy a gifting product.
Myntra was launched in the year 2007, with a focus to enable users to personalise simple products like mouse pads, T-shits, calendars and many more products.
3. Other interesting points
- Bansal started Myntra with INR 30 lakhs (~$43,000) of personal investment.
"We will unearth the talent from every part of India and give them a platform to make it big." - Mukesh Bansal